Graduate with Honors

Graduate with Honors

Both the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources offer graduation with honors. Biochemistry students with a strong academic record are eligible for this distinction — you do not need to be a member of the university-wide Honors Program, although many of our students are.

To pursue this option, you must select a faculty member with whom to conduct an original research project. At the end of the project, you will write a thesis, guided by your faculty mentor. The thesis is presented before a committee of three faculty members, including your mentor. You’ll then defend your thesis work in a short oral examination conducted by the committee. Successful graduation with honors is a very prestigious distinction for your resume. Complete details can be found in the Guidelines for Honors Thesis.

Special research fellowships to pursue a degree with honors are offered through CASNR. See the section titled "Undergraduate Honors Student Research Program" to find out how to apply for this Agricultural Research Division Award.

Please consider starting research during the second semester of your first-year or at the start of your second-year to best prepare for an Honors Thesis.

The following is a sample undergraduate thesis:

Humera Ahmad's Thesis

Combined B.S./M.S. Degree

Depending on your career objectives, if you are considering graduating with honors, you may also be interested in pursuing the combined bachelors/masters degree. Students apply for this program after the sophomore year. Please see Erin Sayer, Chief Academic Advisor for more information.