Requirements for the Center for Biological Chemistry Graduate Program:
- B.S. or B.A. or equivalent degree in biochemistry, biology, chemistry, or a related field.
- International students whose native language is not English must have a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper), 213 (computer-based), 79-80 (internet-based) or minimum of 6.5 (IELTS). Test scores can be no more than two years old.
Review of applications for Fall admission will begin December 15th and will continue until available positions are filled. For full consideration, students are encouraged to submit applications by January 15th.
Admission decisions are made by the Graduate Admissions Committee (5-faculty members), which reviews all of the completed applications. Admitted students are provided with a graduate assistantship. Applicants are encouraged to apply early so they can be considered for prestigious University Fellowships, which significantly enhances assistantships. Historically, our incoming students have been very competitive for these awards.
Qualified applicants will be invited to a recruitment weekend in early February. This event will provide you with the opportunity to meet with our current students and faculty as well as network with others in the life sciences at the University of Nebraska.
This year's main campus visit weekend is scheduled from February 9 to February 11.
Deadline for acceptance of an offer is April 15.
Positions for Spring admission are limited, and students are strongly encouraged to apply for Fall Admission. In general, students who are admitted for the Spring semester are not eligible for University Fellowships and have limited opportunities for lab rotations.
The application deadline for Spring admission is September 1. Review of application files will be complete by mid-October.
Deadline for acceptance of offer is November 15.
BIOC Graduate Program Application Process
Submit application materials below to UNL Graduate Studies:
- Graduate Studies Application Form — Complete online.
- Application Fee — Submit application fee (check or money order for $50 payable to "UNL Graduate Studies" or include credit card information on the online Graduate Studies Application Form above).
- Transcripts — One set of transcripts, uploaded to MyRED (see upload requirements)
- Additional Requirements for International Applicants living outside USA:
- TOEFL Scores — Submit official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score. Minimum score is: 550 (paper), 213 (computer-based), 79-80 (internet-based) or minimum of 6.0 (IELTS). Test scores can be no more than two years old. Send one official TOEFL report to UNL Graduate Studies. Request ETS online to send an official report to University of Nebraska - Lincoln (Institutional Code: 6877) Biochemistry Department (Biochemistry Departmental Code: 0202).
- Financial Resource Certification Form — Complete and submit the Financial Resource Certification Form.
- Personal Information — Regardless of where you live you must choose a STATE and COUNTRY option when completing your address or GAMES will show this information incomplete.
- Personal Statement — Submit a statement describing long-term goals, how graduate studies in Biochemistry at the University of Nebraska will help you achieve your goals, and any additional information you think will help in evaluating your application.
- Area of Interest — choose a 1st area of interest. A 2nd and 3rd area of interest is optional.
- Supporting Files — Upload your personal statement, CV, abstracts or other supporting information in pdf format. DO NOT upload your transcripts.
- References — Fill in name, address and email address for 3 recommenders. An email address must be given so that your recommenders receive an email telling them how to upload their letters of recommendation* directly to your application site.
- Letters of Recommendation — If a recommender does not have email access letters and recommendation form may be submitted in the following manner: 1) sent in sealed envelopes, 2) sent directly by the person writing the letter to the Biochemistry Department address listed below, or 3) as an attachment in an email along with the recommendation form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of Graduate Studies
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
1100 Seaton Hall
Lincoln NE 68588-0619
Grad Admissions: 402.472.2878
Grad Studies: 402.472.2875
Toll-Free (US & Canada only): 800.742.8800
Department of Biochemistry
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
N200 Beadle Center
Lincoln, NE 68588-0664
*Candidates unable to register online may request application materials via the address, phone or email listed above.